Welcome to the complicated world of my chaotic mind!

Check out our Book Site!

http://www.org-immaturity.com

Monday, July 19, 2010

Be Careful What You Pray For


You might just get it!

My good friend Troy mentioned something interesting. He said that whenever he hears a recording of his voice or a picture of himself, he says, “yikes!” I fully understand this. In fact, I’m now wondering if the total disconnect on how we see ourselves (in comparison to how others see us) may be the root of all unhappiness. Here is the basic issue.

Not only do we sound different in our own hearing (heads) than others hear us, but we also have a picture in our heads of who we are. Not just how we look to others. Who we “are.” We’re amazed when people see us differently (especially in a “bad” light). Sometimes we’re surprised when we’re seen in a “better light” than we see ourselves. It’s good for our ego, and is proof of our humility. But the point is, how we see others (different than they see themselves) and how we see ourselves (different than how others see us) creates a LOT of issues in our lives.

Misunderstandings, confusion, hurt feelings, anger, etc.

I did a post recently on making a change within first…dealing with the “man in the mirror” before we start seeking to change others. This could seem to be on the same topic…
My very last post was about Comparison being the Root of All Unhappiness. This definitely can be seen as a continuation of that.

Ever wonder why I call this “Chaos Simplified?”

If we could see ourselves as others do, what a difference that would make! We’d know when we’re being insensitive, when we are aggravating others, when we’re seen as less than truthful. We’d know when we were cute, handsome, pretty, or sexy. We’d know when we were being ugly.

Perhaps my daily prayer should be, “Lord help me to see myself as others see me.”

I’m not sure I could handle it if God granted me such a wish.

Could you?

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of seeing myself as others do. Maybe I wouldn't be as critical? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmmiSYZH7us
    or maybe I'd learn to hold my breath longer.

    ReplyDelete