Welcome to the complicated world of my chaotic mind!

Check out our Book Site!

http://www.org-immaturity.com

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

50 Things To Do

So, my brother inspired me to create a list of things to do before I turn 50. Seeing as how I have more than a year (actually I have 18 months), I'm trying to plan aggressively and realistically. I haven't even settled on the 50 things...I'm trying to get the list right. Perhaps the first thing on the list should be to create the list? As you will notice, I don't have 50 things yet. Here is my first shot...

  1. Draw "Stations" (art)
  2. Help Irv get published (family)
  3. Fully Clean my room (family)
  4. Help Kristopher get started (family) - Needs Work
  5. Help Alyssa get started (family) - Needs Work
  6. Visit Family (family)
  7. Visit Benji and Pinky (friends)
  8. Get to and maintain 160 lbs max (health)
  9. Keep to Strength Training program for 6 consecutive months (health)
  10. Stick to exercise program for 6 consecutive months (health)
  11. Eat at least 1 piece of fruit daily for 90 consecutive days (health)
  12. Pray daily for another 365 consecutive days (health)
  13. Try Yoga (health)
  14. Read the Bible - cover to cover (health)
  15. Lower cholesterol within healthy range (health)
  16. Get body fat % to healthy range (health)
  17. Read dictionary cover to cover (health)
  18. Take class on sign language (health)
  19. Read two books on Albert Einstein (health)
  20. Read "Numbers" book (health)
  21. Try a martial art (health)
  22. Learn a full Tai Chi form (health)
  23. Research (find likely opportunities) for teaching in Michigan (job)
  24. Participate in seminar business (job)
  25. Get five authors in the fold for K4K Books (project)
  26. Publish at least 10 standards through CEITPS (project)
  27. Make St. Mark Youth Group viable - have at least 10 active members (church)
  28. Sell all stuff (to be sold) in room on Ebay (misc)
  29. Mentor / Coach four people (misc)
  30. Put out a chess club website for Niles Comm Library club (misc)
  31. Become a 3 point shooting threat in basketball (sports)
  32. Get published - book (writing)
  33. Get published in a mainstream magazine (writing)
  34. Get published for a solo writing effort (writing)
  35. Finish a publishable novel (writing)

Looking for ideas for 15 more!

11 comments:

  1. Great start!!! Welcome to the revelation! Your list is SO you. Especially with the added (purpose)s. I'm curious about 14,17,18,19, and 20 being 'health' designated. Mental health, maybe? That makes sense, sorta. Anyway, I would suggest you add a few 'out there' things to your list. May I suggest visiting Alaska with your brother? The idea of widening your scope might prove to be liberating and challenging at the same time. When I made my first list I welcomed the variety and different perspective provided by someone else's list. You might too. I'm impressed! Have at it.

    Your Bro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yes, those items are "mental health." I meant to have a few "spiritual health" ones too (#14?, and luckily I'm still short of 50...so I have time to add some.

    I love your idea of pushing my limits with some "out there" items. I think I'll take you up on the Alaska visit...it's one of the places I'd like to visit. The only other lists I've seen are yours :-) so, I'll have to dig to find some other examples. So, besides Alaska, any other ideas?

    And what exactly do you mean by my list being "SO" me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Other ideas? Hmm. What about learning a new skill? That may be difficult for you considering you're so multitalented already. I never want to stop learning (hence my piano & language items). Anything you'd like to learn to do? Origami?
    As for the 'SO' you comment, as I read your list I chuckle inwardly at the exactitude of your plans and the finality of the definitions. It is typical Marty to be so thoughtful and display such acuity. I read this and KNOW it is your list. It makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, once you finish one, write a little paragraph about it and keep it in a word document or something so you can jog your memory when you think back about it. Second of all, I'll try to find a few more ideas for you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ideas (you may have already done some, and some may be inpractical within a year and a half). These are all on my list:
    1. Visit the Redwood forests
    2. Visit the Holy Land
    3. Attend Mass at Notre Dame Cathedral
    4. Swim with Sharks
    5. Do some Live Action Role-Playing (LARP)
    6. Go Skydiving/Bungee Jumping/Base Jumping
    7. Name a Star
    8. Fast for a week
    9. Scuba dive the Great Barrier Reef
    10. Break a Guiness World Record
    11. Run a 5-Minute Mile (or whatever would be a good time for you)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marty!!! Hey I forgot how cool you are! We gotta hang out more, so I think I'm gonna start coming over to your house more often unannounced to rip you from your family and play with you myself :)
    The list is awesome and quite inspiring, I think I might make a list, maybe of things to do before 25. I'll think about it and see if I can think of any things to add, I think you should substitute freerice.com (http://www.freerice.com/index.php) for your dictionary reading goal. The dictionary has so many words that no one knows or ever will know and are never actually used.
    Freerice.com offers several advantages:
    1. The words are adjusted to reflect your vocabulary level so you will always be learning words that are challenging, at the upper end of your vocabulary, and that you can hopefully not only add to your vocabulary but also integrate into daily speech.
    2. The site donates rice to feed hungry people for each correct answer you get.
    3. It's more like a game and I'm betting a lot more fun than dictionary reading.
    4. When you get a word wrong it asks it to you again later to help solidify unknown words.
    5. It keeps track of the rice you donate (10 grains per correct answer) so goal setting and keeping track of progress should be pretty easy.

    I suppose I didn't need to number my points but I thought I should get myself into list mode if I'm gonna be making myself a goals list :) Merry Christmas great seein ya and I'll see ya tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the way Jeff is thinking: BIG!! Although some of his ideas don't particularly strike my fancy (nothing that involves a bungee, sharks, or a parachute for me), they might tickle yours. I like the scuba and Guiness suggestions, however, if it were me I'd be more likely to play golf with The Shark near the Great Barrier Reef while drinking a Guiness!! Now that's living!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great input all! I really like the idea of writing a paragraph (which I will turn into a blog post instead) for each accomplishment. Scott, I also really like the idea of freerice.com for learning vocabulary. Thanks! Unfortunately, Jeff, the items you offered,well, most involve either heights (which I don't like and have no need to overcome by risking life and limb) or just don't tickle my fancy. hmmm. Where exactly is the fancy located? Any anatomy experts out there? So - I will rework my list and repost! Thanks again to all...comments are still welcome...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, have to amend my last comment... Relooking at some of Jeff's suggestions, I actually like a few...so, I thought I'd comment on each individually...

    1. Visit the Redwood forests - Not much of a tourist...although I do have a few places I'd like to visit (England, Japan, Alaska...)
    2. Visit the Holy Land - see excuse for #1 above.
    3. Attend Mass at Notre Dame Cathedral - See excuse for #1 and 2 above
    4. Swim with Sharks - OK, Irv is right on this one. If I liked swimming, I'd opt for swimming with dolphins...but, I really don't have any liking for water activities
    5. Do some Live Action Role-Playing (LARP)-
    OK, I'll have to look this one up. It sounds like a game in which you compete = fun...definitely a possibility.
    6. Go Skydiving/Bungee Jumping/Base Jumping - simply put...NO.
    7. Name a Star - not bad, not tough though. Doesn't this just cost money?
    8. Fast for a week - I like this one. Especially if added with something like "pray fervently." Remind me to do a Blog post on the gift I gave my wife last year for her birthday.
    9. Scuba dive the Great Barrier Reef - water... nope.
    10. Break a Guiness World Record - oooo. Tempting. Definitely a possibility.
    11. Run a 5-Minute Mile (or whatever would be a good time - wrong Klubeck. I only run when there's a reason, like someone is chasing me (or I'm chasing someone). Or if there is a ball involved.

    All in all, better than I gave you credit for in the last comment. Sorry about that.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How about this then:

    1. Overcome your fear of heights

    Note: perhaps not in a death-defying way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...10 years later...time for a checup! And to start writing regularly!

    ReplyDelete